Ensuring food security for a country of almost 110 million seems to be too big of a task that President-elect Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has decided to head the Department of Agriculture (DA) in the absence of an appointee who will take on the challenge.
Marcos announced his new role Monday (June 20) in a press conference with members of his economic team and Social Welfare Secretary Erwin Tulfo.
“I think that the problem is severe enough that I have decided to take on the portfolio of secretary of agriculture, at least for now,” he said.
Marcos said he will remain head of the agency until it can be reorganized “in the way that it will make it ready for the next years to come.”
Prices of chicken, vegetables, and other key food items have been on the rise amid short supply and aggravated by surging fuel prices that make transport and logistics costlier.
Incumbent Secretary William Dar publicly asked Marcos to keep him in the Cabinet, but multiple farmers’ organizations have blocked his bid. No other names have been floated for the post so far.