The buildings of bilyonaryo John Gokongwei’s Robinsons’ Place Manila, Cebuana Lhuiller, and the Government Service and Insurance were among 16 establishments that were either shuttered or cited for violations of water pollution regulations.
This crackdown is part of President Rodrigo Duterte’s order to punish hotels, malls and other establishments that have shamelessly dumped their wastes into the water system and contributed to the massive pollution of Manila Bay.
The Laguna Lake Development Authority (LLDA) the LLDA issued Notice of Violation (Water Pollution Case) against:
1) Gokongwei’s Robinsons Place Manila at Pedro Gil corner Adriatico St., Ermita, Manila
2) Cebuana Lhuiller Building along Roxas Boulevard, Pasay City
3) GSIS Building along Roxas Boulevard, Pasay City
4) Sogo Hotel – Quirino at Madre Ignacia St., Malate, Manila
5) Peak Motors Phils Inc. at EDSA corner Roxas Boulevard, Pasay City
6) Makchang Korean Restaurant at Adriatico St., Malate, Manila
7) 2Blue Realty Corp. at Madre Ignacia St., Malate, Manila
8) Rizal Park Hotel (South Drive TM Kalaw, Ermita, Manila).
Four establishments were closed for dumping wastewater into the Manila Bay:
1) Billion Building or Philippine Billion Real Estate Development Corp. along Roxas Boulevard, Pasay City
2) HK Sun Plaza along Roxas Boulevard, Pasay City
3)Tramway Bayview Buffet Restaurant at Roxas Boulevard corner Layug St., Pasay City
4) D Circle Hotel at MH Del Pilar St., Malate, Manila
They failed to comply with the Effluent Standards for “SB” waters based on their recent saturation activities in the Manila Bay area and results of laboratory analysis of wastewater samples.
Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu said the Environment Compliance Certificates (ECC) and business permits of these four establishments would be suspended.
“This is a cease and desist order meaning they have to stop operations until they have corrected their violations,” Cimatu said.
The LLDA also issued ex parte orders and notices of violation against:
1) Le Mirage De Malate – Builders 2000 Inc. at A. Mabini St., Malate, Manila
2) Smart Land Resources at A. Mabini St, Malate, Manila
3) Malate Bayview Mansion at M. Adriatico St., Malate, Manila
On the other hand,
A notice of violation was also issued to Summit Ice Inc. for violating provisions of Republic Act 4850 for failure to secure LLDA clearance and/or discharge permit to the authority.
The LLDA earlier issued cease and desist orders to Aristocrat Restaurant in Malate, Manila, Gloria Maris Bayside and SM Esplanade for violating environmental laws, which included the Clean Water Act. (With a report from PNA)