DICT opposes DOF’s plan to bid out frequencies for 3rd telco player: It’s so uncompetitive!

The Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) is opposing the plan of the Department of Finance to bid out the telecommunication frequencies to a potential killer of the Smart-Globe duopoly.

A bidding of the 3G, 4G, and 5G frequencies could generate $1 billion to $2 billion from a bidding but DICT acting Secretary Eliseo Rio Jr. said that this would be unfair and dampen interest among potential third telco players.

“It is so anticompetitive if we auction the frequencies,? Rio said in a report by the Inquirer.

Rio noted that Smart and Globe did not obtained their frequencies in an auction.

Rio proposed that the spectrum biddings be made only after the third player has been chosen.

President Rodrgio Duterte met with Rio last Friday during a break in the National ICT Summit in Davao City.

Duterte had previously frowned on compensating Smart and Gobe for their idle frequencies that he insisted were given to them by the government without any compensation.

Related Links:

Duterte reveals how he forced Smart, Globe to give up frequencies they hoarded to block rivals

Subscribe to

Stay in the know with Bilyonaryo’s unparalleled coverage of business news and global industries!

Elevate your understanding of the Philippine business landscape and gain insights into worldwide markets by subscribing to our dedicated channels. Receive breaking news, in-depth analyses, and exclusive interviews with industry leaders directly on Viber, WhatsApp, and Facebook. Stay informed and empowered with our Email Newsletter, delivering curated content right to your inbox.

Don’t miss out on crucial updates and trends shaping economies and businesses both locally and internationally.

Join Bilyonaryo’s community today by clicking the button below to subscribe and stay ahead in the dynamic world of business.

Share this Bilyonaryo story